CUW Joins NACC Canned Food Drive

The Concordia Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) will once again be organizing a canned food drive for the local community during the months of October, November, and December.

The drive is titled “Cans Across the Conference” and has been taking place since the inception of the NACC in 2006. The format of the drive will be a competition between all 12 schools in the conference to see who can raise the most cans.

According to the NACC website, “Cans Across the Conference” is all about doing something together that helps each institutions’ respective community.

The drive will be organized by SAAC, which is a committee that aims to give a voice to student-athletes of all collegiate divisions.

According to Coach Shawn Cassidy, CUW men’s head basketball coach, who has been the faculty advisor of SAAC for the past eight years, service projects such as this are what truly helps Concordia live out its mission.

“The canned food drive is a service opportunity which immediately helps the local community. Hopefully by participating in service projects such as this, students will want to be more involved in service in the community,” Cassidy said.

According to Issy Bilton, SAAC President of the junior class and captain of the CUW Women’s Hockey Team, it is extremely easy to donate and truly make a difference in someone’s life.

“The everyday student can either donate cans of their own or contribute a dollar amount greater than two dollars to make a donation,” Bilton said.

Bins will be set up around campus within this month to begin collecting cans.

CUW has finished in the middle of the pack over the past five years but has high hopes of moving up the leaderboard this year.

According to Cassidy, this will not be possible without the help of every member in the CUW community.

To make a donation, you can drop off cans at one of the many bin locations on CUW’s campus or contact shawn.cassidy@cuw.edu. To learn more about “Cans Across the Conference”, you can visit their website by clicking here

Written by Logan Jones.

Categories: Athletics, Community, Faculty and Staff