The Making of A CUW Theatre Performance

Students and staff at Concordia University Wisconsin enjoy the plays and musicals put on by the theatre department each year, but few know how much work actually goes into these performances.

One of the first elements of planning a performance is to find funding. Performances put on by CUW’s Department of Theatre are funded by the Office of Student Life. Due to copyrights and licenses, funding for musicals can cost up to $12,000 while plays can cost up to $4,000.

Another key element in putting on a performance is rehearsal. Each student puts in a lot of time and effort to memorize their lines and perfect the roles of their characters. While exact rehearsal times are dependent on the size of the role, students typically spend around the same amount of hours each week in rehearsal.

“Students spend about 25-30 hours a week in rehearsals, depending on the play. Musicals require more time, and so do older genres, like the Elizabethan Era,” Lori Woodall-Schaufler, associate professor and theatre director, said.

As the director, Lori Woodall-Schaufler spends even more time preparing for performances. Her time is divided mostly between administrative work and the rehearsals themselves.

“My time is different than their time. I may invest 60 hours a week, with 25-30 of those hours being rehearsals, and the rest is planning, making calls and emails, administrative work, and production detailing,” Woodall-Schaufler said.

Rehearsals are currently underway for this year’s fall musical “Meet Me in St. Louis”. For more information about the upcoming performance or about CUW’s Department of Theatre, please click here.

Written by Joe Peck.

Categories: Community, Faculty and Staff