Concordia Business Professor Teaches and Runs Business During the COVID-19 Pandemic

Last Spring, Concordia Business Professor Debra Schmidt, like many professors and teachers around the world, had to adapt quickly to new changes because of COVID-19. 

Some of the changes that took place at Concordia included the cancellation of in-person classes for the rest of the semester and using Zoom. 

The biggest change for Schmidt however, was no longer having students in face-to-face classes.

“I always preferred to be in-person because I love being around the students and their energy in the classroom,” said Schmidt. “Part of my joy of teaching is getting to know students and understanding what their goals are and the challenges they’re having.” 

Professor Schmidt is also the CEO and founder of Loyalty Leader Inc. Some of Schmidt’s responsibilities at Loyalty Leader Inc. is training employees and holding seminars in different states. 

COVID-19 also forced many changes within Loyalty Leader Inc. Schmidt was unable to travel and had to change her speaking events to webinars. However, Schmidt was surprised to hear that many clients were on board with the webinars. 

”Being a business owner, I have been pleasantly surprised by the fact that clients of mine are reaching out to me and asking if I can put together virtual training for them,” said Schmidt. 

Schmidt has had her business for over 20 years and has strong client relationships that has helped her through this pandemic. 

Schmidt has dealt with adversity through the past couple of months, but has adapted and grown from the many changes brought on by COVID-19. 

Written By Emma Ebeling

Categories: Community, Faculty and Staff